Monday, December 22, 2008

How NOT to Protect Your Christmas Tree From Your Pets...


Every year, millions of pet owners go through the same antics… we try and figure out ways to stop our pets from bringing down the Christmas Tree! Here are a few personal reflexions on what does NOT work!

1. Hanging ornaments further up to tree so that your dog can not steel them. This method only encouraged my dog to jump and grab the higher hanging ornaments and knocking down the tree.

2. Hiding a motion activated noise machine that should scare the dog off when he gets to close to the tree. This method spooked the dog alright… it caused him to attack the tree and the strange noise that was coming from it!


3. Hiding the presents behind the tree so that the dog would not crawl under after them. This encouraged my dog to push himself between the wall and tree… effectively turning the tree 180 degrees before he knocked it down!


4. Purchasing a fake tree to discourage him from peeing or chewing on a real tree. Puppies chew on everything! So this method was a waste of time… he chewed the fake pine needles off of the ends of the branches so now just the wire was sticking out! My son walked past the tree snagging his pants on the exposed wire… and guess what? The tree came down!


5. Cats… they play a more indirect role in bringing down a Christmas Tree. My cat, likes to crawl up the center of the tree and sit in the branches. He might nibble a bit on the greenery and swat a few ornaments… but for the most part, he is harmless… that is until the dog spots the cat in the tree… I am running out of ornaments!


I must really love my pets… why else would I put up with such destruction? The playfulness of my pets and pure joy they give us throughout the year make these Christmas escapades almost entertaining (almost). So glad I can return the joy by giving my pets a new challenge each year… How to bring down the Christmas Tree!


Merry Christmas and Happy Holidays from Pets of Georgia!





No comments: